Jennifer Ward Books Connecting Children to Nature, Literacy & STEM
A Note From Jennifer
- My family activity & nature books, I Love Dirt!, Let's Go Outside!, I Love Birds! and, It's a Jungle Out There! provide sensory and science-based activities in nature that require nothing more than a few moments of your day and a desire to connect, or reconnect, with nature.
No materials. No mess. No prep. Simply simple guided activities to encourage us to see the world outside with new eyes, unplug for a moment, and reap the benefits and rewards by doing so.
Time in nature is free of cost, but the rewards nature offers our children will last a lifetime.
- "Here is the potential for much fun, many meaningful experiences—and a trove of shared stories.”—Richard Louv, from the foreword
- “There may be no better way to ensure the well-being of the natural world tomorrow than to introduce children to its many small wonders today. Through a series of accessible activities designed to engage young minds and all five senses, this book reminds us of—even celebrates—the magic to be found right outside our own back doors.”—Todd Christopher, cofounder of National Wildlife Federation’s Green Hour
- “I Love Dirt! is a perfect book for parents, teachers, or anyone who cares about children and nature. A nature-lover herself, Jennifer Ward has done an excellent job creating a collection of fun, interactive ways for children everywhere to connect with nature and combat the growing negative impact of sedentary, indoor lifestyles on our youth.”—David Mizejewski, naturalist, National Wildlife Federation, and host of Animal Planet’s Backyard Habitat
- “A perfect companion to your nature center and hiking trail excursions!”--Nashville Parent
- “A wonderful resource for parents. This book could be the ticket to many wonderful memories for both parent and child.”--Portland Book Review
Free Nature Activities
Download a free activity from I Love Dirt! compliments of Roost Books
Take a Walk on the Wild Side
Everything in nature moves. Rocks shift. The Earth spins. Winds blow. Water travels. Animals hop, waddle, scurry, scamper, run, jump, crawl, and slither. The outdoors offers a wide assortment of movements, from a twirling leaf on its descent to the ground to an inchworm measuring its way upward on a flower stem. Get your children outside and practice taking a walk on the wild side by pantomiming movements in nature!